SMC ENGLISH MASS - 28th Sunday in Ordinary Time Year A (11 Oct 2026)

SMC English Mass - 28th Sunday in Ordinary Time Year A (11 Oct 2026)

Prayer for the 80th Anniversary of the Catholic Diocese of Hong Kong

Messengers of Hope

O Lord, You are the source of all blessings and you guide the course of human history by your Providence.

With gratitude we thank you for the establishment of our Diocese eighty years ago.

In the footsteps of our predecessors, we have steadfastly kept the heritage of our Faith over the years and so have been able

to experience your unfailing help in the face of challenges;

to regain strength in our weakness;

to restore hope in our discouragement;

to look for your direction when we have lost our way.

As your children, may we always entrust ourselves to you in humility. May we always respond to your calling for us to carry on our mission to spread the Gospel and bear witness to our faith in Hong Kong, sowing the seeds of love and hope while living in joy and peace. 

We ask this in the name of your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen


PROCESSIONAL HYMN


GIVE ME JOY IN MY HEART#086 P.28

1. Give me joy in my heart, keep me praising
Give me joy in my heart I pray
Give me joy in my heart, keep me praising
Keep me praising till the end of day

* Sing Hosanna, sing Hosanna
Sing Hosanna to the King of kings
Sing Hosanna, sing Hosanna, sing Hosanna to the King 

2. Give me peace in my heart, keep me resting
Give me peace in my heart I pray
Give me peace in my heart, keep me resting
Keep me resting till the end of day 

3. Give me love in my heart, keep me serving
Give me love in my heart I pray
Give me love in my heart, keep me serving
Keep me serving till the end of day


Sign of the cross

Priest ✠ In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

All: Amen.

Greeting

P✠: The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

All: And with your spirit.

Penitential Act

P✠: Brethren (brothers and sisters), let us acknowledge our sins, and so prepare ourselves to celebrate the sacred mysteries.

All: I confess to almighty God and to you, my brothers and sisters, that I have greatly sinned, in my thoughts and in my words, in what I have done and in what I have failed to do, (striking their breast) through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault; therefore I ask blessed Mary ever-Virgin, all the Angels and Saints, and you, my brothers and sisters, to pray for me to the Lord our God.

P✠: May almighty God have mercy on us, forgive us our sins, and bring us to everlasting life.

All: Amen.

Kyrie Eleison

P✠: You were sent to heal the contrite of heart: Lord, have mercy.

All: Lord, have mercy.

P✠: You came to call sinners: Christ, have mercy.

All: Christ, have mercy.

P✠: You are seated at the right hand of the Father to intercede for us: Lord, have mercy.

All: Lord, have mercy.

P✠: May almighty God have mercy on us, forgive us our sins, and bring us to everlasting life.

All: Amen.

Gloria

Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace to people of good will. 

We praise You. We bless You. We adore you. We glorify You. We give You thanks for Your great glory.  Lord God, heavenly King, O God almighty Father. 


Lord Jesus Christ, Only-begotten Son. Lord God, Lamb of God, Son of the Father: you take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us. You take away the sins of the world, receive our prayer. You are seated at the right hand of the Father, have mercy on us. 


For you alone are the Holy One. You alone are the Lord. You alone are the Most High, Jesus Christ, with the Holy Spirit in the glory of God the Father. Amen.


Collect 

Let us pray (pause)

May your grace, O Lord, we pray, at all times go before us and follow after and make us always determined to carry out good works.

Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

All: Amen.

1st Reading – Isaiah 25:6-10a

On this mountain the LORD of hosts

will provide for all peoples a feast of rich food and choice wines, juicy, rich food and pure, choice wines. On this mountain he will destroy the veil that veils all peoples, the web that is woven over all nations; he will destroy death forever. The Lord GOD will wipe away the tears from every face; the reproach of his people he will remove from the whole earth; for the LORD has spoken. On that day it will be said: "Behold our God, to whom we looked to save us! This is the LORD for whom we looked; let us rejoice and be glad that he has saved us!" For the hand of the LORD will rest on this mountain.– The Word of the Lord.

All: Thanks be to God.


Responsorial Psalm – Psalm 23:1-3a, 3b-4, 5, 6

R. I shall live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.


The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. In verdant pastures he gives me repose; beside restful waters he leads me; he refreshes my soul.

R. I shall live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.


He guides me in right paths for his name's sake. Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side with your rod and your staff that give me courage.

R. I shall live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.


You spread the table before me

in the sight of my foes; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

R. I shall live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.


Only goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come.

R. I shall live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.


2nd Reading – Philippians 4:12-14, 19-20

Brothers and sisters: I know how to live in humble circumstances; I know also how to live with abundance. In every circumstance and in all things I have learned the secret of being well fed and of going hungry, of living in abundance and of being in need. I can do all things in him who strengthens me. Still, it was kind of you to share in my distress.

My God will fully supply whatever you need, in accord with his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. To our God and Father, glory forever and ever. Amen.  – The Word of the Lord.

All: Thanks be to God.


Alleluia – Cf. Ephesians 1:17-18

R. Alleluia, alleluia.

May the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ enlighten the eyes of our hearts, so that we may know what is the hope that belongs to our call.

R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel – Matthew 22:1-14 (Long Form)


Jesus again in reply spoke to the chief priests and elders of the people in parables, saying, "The kingdom of heaven may be likened to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son. He dispatched his servants to summon the invited guests to the feast, but they refused to come. A second time he sent other servants, saying, 'Tell those invited: "Behold, I have prepared my banquet, my calves and fattened cattle are killed, and everything is ready; come to the feast."' Some ignored the invitation and went away, one to his farm, another to his business. The rest laid hold of his servants, mistreated them, and killed them. The king was enraged and sent his troops, destroyed those murderers, and burned their city. Then he said to his servants, 'The feast is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy to come. 

Go out, therefore, into the main roads and invite to the feast whomever you find.' The servants went out into the streets and gathered all they found, bad and good alike, and the hall was filled with guests. But when the king came in to meet the guests, he saw a man there not dressed in a wedding garment. The king said to him, 'My friend, how is it that you came in here without a wedding garment?' But he was reduced to silence. Then the king said to his attendants, 'Bind his hands and feet,

and cast him into the darkness outside, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.' Many are invited, but few are chosen." – The Gospel of the Lord. 

 : ALL: Praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ.

Nicene Creed

I believe in one God,

the Father almighty,

maker of heaven and earth,

of all things visible and invisible.

I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ,

the Only Begotten Son of God,

born of the Father before all ages.

God from God, Light from Light,

true God from true God,

begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father; through him all things were made.

For us men and for our salvation

he came down from heaven, and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary, and became man.

For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate, he suffered death and was buried,

and rose again on the third day

in accordance with the Scriptures.

He ascended into heaven

and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

He will come again in glory

to judge the living and the dead and his kingdom will have no end.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son,

who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified, who has spoken through the prophets.

I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church. I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come. Amen.


Prayer of the Faithful



OFFERTORY HYMN


GIVE THANKS #087 P.28

1. Give thanks with a grateful heart
Give thanks to the Holy One
Give thanks because He's given Jesus Christ
His Son 

2. And now let the weak say I am strong
Let the poor say I am rich
Because of what the Lord
Has done for us 

# Give thanks, we give thanks, we give thanks! (Give thanks, give thanks!)


P✠: Pray, brethren (brothers and sisters), that my sacrifice and yours be acceptable to God, the almighty Father.

All: May the Lord accept the sacrifice at your hands for the praise and glory of his name, for our good and the good of all his holy Church. 


Prayer over the Offerings

Accept, O Lord, the prayers of your faithful with the sacrificial offerings,

that, through these acts of devotedness, we may pass over to the glory of heaven.

Through Christ our Lord.

All: Amen


P✠: The Lord be with you.

All: And with your spirit.

P✠: Lift up your hearts.

All: We lift them up to the Lord.

P✠: Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.

All: It is right and just.

P✠: It is truly right and just,.... , as without end we acclaim:


Sanctus

Holy, Holy, Holy Lord God of hosts. 

Heaven and earth are full of your glory. 

Hosanna in the highest. Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord. 

Hosanna in the highest. 


P✠: You are indeed Holy, O Lord, the…. 


At the time he was betrayed and entered willingly into his Passion, he took bread and, giving thanks, broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying:


TAKE THIS, ALL OF YOU, AND EAT OF IT,

FOR THIS IS MY BODY,

WHICH WILL BE GIVEN UP FOR YOU.


P✠: In a similar way, when supper was ended, he took the chalice and, once more giving thanks, he gave it to his disciples, saying:


TAKE THIS, ALL OF YOU, AND DRINK FROM IT,

FOR THIS IS THE CHALICE OF MY BLOOD,

THE BLOOD OF THE NEW AND ETERNAL COVENANT, WHICH WILL BE POURED OUT FOR YOU AND FOR MANY

FOR THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS.

DO THIS IN MEMORY OF ME.


P✠: The mystery of faith.

All: We proclaim your Death, O Lord, and profess your Resurrection until you come again.


P✠: Therefore, as we celebrate the memorial of his Death and Resurrection,..... 


P✠: Through him, and with him, and in him,

O God, almighty Father,

in the unity of the Holy Spirit,

all glory and honor is yours, for ever and ever.

All: Amen.


Lord’s Prayer

P✠: At the Savior’s command and formed by divine teaching, we dare to say:


All: Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come, thy will be done

on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses,

as we forgive those who trespass against us;

and lead us not into temptation,

but deliver us from evil.


P✠: Deliver us, Lord, we pray, from every evil, graciously grant peace in our days, that, by the help of your mercy, we may be always free from sin and safe from all distress, as we await the blessed hope and the coming of our Savior, Jesus Christ.

All: For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours, now and for ever.


P✠: Lord Jesus Christ, who said to your Apostles: Peace I leave you, my peace I give you, look not on our sins, but on the faith of your Church, and graciously grant her peace and unity in accordance with your will. Who live and reign for ever and ever.

All: Amen.

P✠: The peace of the Lord be with you always.

All: And with your spirit.

P✠: Let us offer each other the sign of peace.


Agnus Dei

All: Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us.

Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us.

Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world, grant us peace.


P✠: Lord Jesus Christ,.... 


P✠: Behold the Lamb of God, behold him who takes away the sins of the world. Blessed are those called to the supper of the Lamb.

All: Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.


COMMUNION HYMN


HERE I AM, LORD #113 P.37

1. I, the Lord of sea and sky, I have heard My people cry
All who dwell in dark and sin. My hand will save
I who make the stars of night, I will make their darkness bright
Who will bear My light to them? Whom shall I send?

* Here I am, Lord. Is it I, Lord? I have heard you calling in the night
I will go, Lord. If you lead me, I will hold Your people in my heart

2. I, the Lord of snow and rain, I have borne My people's pain
I have wept for love of them. They turn away
I will break their hearts of stone, give them hearts for love alone
I will speak My word to them. Whom shall I send?

3. I, the Lord of wind and flame, I will tend the poor and lame
I will set a feast for them. My hand will save
Finest bread I will provide till their hearts be satisfied
I will give My life to them. Whom shall I send? 


AND I WILL FOLLOW #020 P.7

* The Lord is my true shepherd, no want nor fear I know
He leads me by safe paths, and I will follow 

1. Fresh and green are the pastures where my new home will be
The waters will be clean and clear that's where He leads me
Through dark and lonely days when hope seems gone
He leads me to the place where Peace is won, Yes -

2. A banquet will be ready when I come home to stay
My family will gather round on that great day
Good and kindness will follow me for the rest of my days
I'll live in the house of my Lord oh grant that I may. For –


Prayer After Communion

P✠: Let us pray (pause)

We entreat your majesty most humbly, O Lord, that, as you feed us with the nourishment which comes from the most holy Body and Blood of your Son, so you may make us sharers of his divine nature. Who lives and reigns for ever and ever.

All: Amen.   

 

P✠: The Lord be with you.

All: And with your spirit.

P✠: May almighty God bless you, ✠ the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

All: Amen

P✠: Go forth, the Mass is ended.

All: Thanks be to God.


RECESSIONAL HYMN


JUBILEE SONG, The #163 P.53

1. It's a time of joy, a time of peace. A time when hearts are then set free
A time to heal the wounds of division

2. It's a time of grace, a time of hope. A time of sharing the gifts we have
A time to build a world that is one

* It's a time to give thanks to the Father, Son and Spirit
And with Mary, our Mother, we sing this song
Open your hearts to the Lord
And begin to see the mystery that we are all together as one family
No more walls, no more chains, no more selfishness and closed doors
For we are in the fullness of God's time. It's the time of the Great Jubilee

3. It's a time of prayer, a time of praise. A time to lift our hands to God
A time to recall all our graces

4. It's a time to touch, a time to reach. Those hearts that often wander
A time to bring them back to God's embrace

* It's a time to give thanks to the Father, Son and Spirit
And with Mary, our Mother, we sing this song
[Open your hearts to the Lord
And begin to see the mystery that we are all together as one family
No more walls, no more chains, no more selfishness and closed doors
For we are in the fullness of God's time. It's the time of the Great Jubilee] (last x2)

Popular posts from this blog

SMC ENGLISH MASS - The Nativity of the Lord (24 Dec 2025)

SMC ENGLISH MASS - 4th Sunday of Easter (26 Apr 2026)

SMC ENGLISH MASS - Solemnity of Pentecost Year A (24 May 2026)